?> Quick Star Approach? | almost an M
Dec

Quick Star Approach?

By

Aaron, a non-believer, said, “I’d like to say something about Christians trying to convert non-Christians.” This video provided by Jonathan McIntosh is VERY worthwhile.

Hmm. What do you think?

Bookmark and Share
Categories : communication

Comments

1. Maureen says:

I absolutely agree. Living in a country where it is illegal to proselytize, you learn that the hard way, or you end up not having any true friends, like he says. I’m super glad you posted this!

2. Jeff says:

I’m a bit surprised he didn’t talk about the effectiveness of the evangecube and Chick tracts.

Man, do I long for the day that we realize that Jesus loved people into the Kingdom.

3. Michael says:

A quick story. My church community has a partnership with some M’s in Rome, Italy. Because of this partnership, we will be trying to learn Italian beginning in Jan. Along these lines we have a simple flyer hanging up in our church’s coffee shop that says “Learn to Speak Italian” and has all the appropriate dates, times and cost. This flyer has been the best conversation starter. Some are just curious; others are genuinely interested. We never would tell someone we are “starting a business” in Italy (wink, wink) in order to keep the conversation open. We are upfront about Rome and our church’s missional involvement there which surprisingly sparks even more interest from believers and non-believers alike.

I said all of that to say, if we are upfront about who we are and our agendas – I want all people I meet to come and know Jesus – people have a lot more respect for you than if we keep our agenda hidden. I am genuinely interested in people. Therefore, I am genuinely interested in who/what they are following.

4. Natalie says:

Very interesting. I’d have to agree, living out our faith is crucial. Yet we must be prepared to speak the words of sharing the Gospel once that opportunity arises. So yes, genuinely love people, but also speak truth in love. Be honest about what you believe. Be real.

We can’t force anyone into a genuine relationship with Jesus. Like me trying to introduce a new friend to an old one from high school. I can tell the new friend about the old one and invite the new to meet the old, but if he/she doesn’t want to, I’m not going to force it. That’d be ridiculous. I’d kill the new friendship.

5. Ben Mordecai says:

If we genuinely love people how can we not have the agenda that we want to give them whatever it is that we know will leave them ultimately happy?

He is completely right that we shouldn’t fake people out, lie to them or use gimmicks to “close the sale,” but I think it would be refreshingly honest if people would just say, hey, I want you to believe this. I’m not going to do any arm-twisting, but I really love you and I really am convinced that this is best for you. I’m not withdrawing my friendship if you don’t convert. I’m not going to nag you incessantly. But give me the chance to talk about this and defend this. Let me buy you coffee and lets meet.

6. Mark Myles says:

This dude is right on. Jesus loved people even if they weren’t going to believe in him…even if they were going to betray him. We can’t do the whole, “I’ll try to be your friend just so you will come to church with me” thing & expect it to work…because when they don’t come to church with you…there’s a long awkward silence that happens because your relationship with that person was banking on it. Sure God can work through it (& he has), but he’s also spoken through a donkey.

Way to be honest, Aaron. Thanks.

7. adminsmile says:

I appreciate the comments all. While I have many thoughts on this, much of this will be coming in future posts as I continue the discipleship theme with a touch on Christmas in there of course. I would still like to hear more thoughts on this. A LOT of people viewed it today that did not comment.

As I am traveling this week, I may be slow on approving responses, but don’t worry–related comments will go up.

Also, I would like to thank Jonathan McIntosh for making this available on his blog and his Vimeo page–page linked above. Though we have not had the chance to meet yet, some guys I interact with have and share that he is a really good guy and communicator. Thanks Jonathan for living your life in such a way that you have a friendship with Aaron and others. Finally, thank you Aaron for your candor. It does us well to hear from you. If it ever works out, I’d love to sit down with you over a cup of coffee and hear your story!

8. C. Holland says:

Funny, we were just talking about the “agenda” thing earlier this week…I think M’s who enter a country openly as an M have the hardest time with this–even if they personally are not working an “agenda”. Our supporters have a stereotypical belief about how we should be going about this “agenda” (this is not how we have described ourselves but more from their church experience). Meanwhile, nationals who meet us get “that look” in their eyes, as if to say, “Great, when are you gonna bring ‘the agenda’ up?” After a few interactions, they realise we’re not hard-sell, though we do not hide our Christian lifestyle or values.

9. Scott Wood says:

That was so refreshing! Can we dump the “notches in your belt” methods to witnessing, please. Sadly many won’t even realize that this their sole approach.

My wife and I have met for four years with a group of adults for English classes. Our primary goal is to help them speak English better. At the same time our ultimate goal is to see them choose Jesus and become His disciples. I am confident none of our group would be with us if they didn’t know we love them and therefore volunteer our time and energy each week for free. We also meet outside of class, conduce summer family camps and I am rebuilding a house with one of them.

St. Francis of Assisi had it right, “Witness always and sometimes use words”.

10. Rhology says:

I can’t totally agree here. We DO have an agenda; indeed, we must. And we have to use words – God communicated the Gospel in words! 🙂

So there’s a proper balance to be struck, and boy is that a challenge! For years I’ve waited for ppl around me to “notice” that I’m different, and dropped hints here and there as I could, and all that. How many times have I been able to share the Gospel with ppl that way? Almost none. Since I’ve been trying to be more proactive in actually broaching the topic in convo, **in the context of friendship and relationship**, then the relationship is actually deepened b/c of it. Now we’re talking about my REAL passion, not just sports and weather, not just family and shared hobbies.
    Know what I mean?

11. adminsmile says:

Thanks Scott & Rhology. As crazy as this sounds, I am going to agree with you both at present. Will put up more on this soon, but I have seen people that never said anything or gave any indication of their belief. On the other hand I have seen some with a take no prisoners approach. A little perspective and trying to learn from others will, I believe, help both. This video is to me about not having an approach or viewing people as a target. When in relationship it is natural to share things that are intimate as levels of trust build. In relationship hearing is at least important as telling. Gotta run catch a plane, but I would propose this is a both/and. Words needed? Absolutely! Acts of kindness that carry more weight than words? Indubitably! (what a great word)
    Thanks again to all. I have enjoyed and been enriched by reading your thoughts and insight.

12. Tim says:

A prospect to an M – Do you love me because you want me to become a Christian or do you want me to become a Christian because you love me?
    Do we recognize/acknowledge the differece? More importantly – Do our not-yet Christian friends?

13. adminsmile says:

“Do you love me because you want me to become a Christian or do you want me to become a Christian because you love me?”

Very well said Tim.

14. […] I posted a video about “Christians trying to convert non-Christians.” This Christmas story, I believe, speaks to that. What the characters knew and understood, […]

15. Rhology says: